Expand branded retail
Drive growth through expanding our
branded, food-led, retail estate.
We are currently targeting a total
of 1,100 sites and at the same time are
improving the overall quality of the
estate by increasing our exposure to
the long-term growth of the eating out
market and raising the premiumness
of our unbranded more wet-led estate.
- A net increase of 27 sites during the year.
- Acquisition of Cloverleaf Restaurants
to accelerate our new-build programme.
- Acquisition of Realpubs to take our
presence in London to 220 pubs ahead
of the Olympics.
- Continued expansion through targeted
package and single-site acquisitions.
- Ongoing transfer of prime sites from
- Strong new build pipeline in 2011/12.
Improve quality and reduce size of tenanted estate
Generate sustainable and improved
rates of cash returns from a higher
quality, more customer focused,
We are looking to reduce the Pub
Partners' estate to around 1,200 pubs
including over 300 non-core pub
disposals. We are taking increasing
control over our licensees' customer
offers and introducing new and
innovative agreements into the estate.
- Introduction of Blueprint,
a franchise-style agreement,
which is forecast to improve
licensee income by £45k.
- Reduction in bad debts, temporary
agreements and closed pubs.
- Disposal and transfer out of 70 pubs to
leave estate at 1,514 pubs at year-end.
- Further agreement innovation and
rollout; targeting 25% of core estate
to be on new agreements by year-end.
- Continued improvement in licensee
profitability and length of tenure.
- Further disposal of unsustainable
Increase core beer brand investment
Deliver continued profitable growth
in our branded beer business.
Using synergies from the Belhaven
integration, we are increasing the
investment behind our iconic core
ale brands including Greene King IPA,
Old Speckled Hen, Abbot Ale and
Belhaven Best. We aim to grow
volume and take share in a declining
UK ale market.
- Successful and seamless integration
of Belhaven Brewing with £1m p.a.
- Total volume up 2.5% and both
revenue and profit growth in
Brewing and Brands.
- Launch of £1.0m 'Man Deserves a
Proper Pint' campaign supporting
Greene King IPA.
- Enhanced support for Greene King
IPA during Rugby World Cup.
- New brewhouse in Dunbar
to drive further efficiencies
in Scottish brewing.
- Continued market share gains
and core ale brand growth.